Medic Mobile designs, delivers and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
The Community Health Toolkit now supports more health workers than ever before, with a total of 26,208 health workers using the tools by end of Q2 of 2019. Medic Mobile and its partners equipped 1,139 new health workers in Q2 of 2019 alone and delivered updated tools to 524 existing health workers. In this current phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships with Ministries of Health and Model Building Partners, while also leveraging the Open-Source Community Health Toolkit to spur renewed engagement with implementers and technical partners within the community health space. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized. We are searching for a Project Technical Lead to contribute to our team, mission, and impact.
This is a unique opportunity to bring together your passion about global health and technology, and working at the grassroots level. As a Project Tech Lead, you will manage project technical development/configurations. We believe that the technologies, work environments, and approaches to global health and development you've experienced in the past, and have mastered in-depth will be useful to further build Medic’s tools and technology. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies.
The Project Tech Lead works closely with design and project teams.
This role will report to Tech Lead Manager and will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
- Manage project technical development/configurations: Work alongside relationship leads, project managers and designers to define scope, support service design,write technical specifications, configure and customize Medic Mobile tools
- Develop internal and partner-facing dashboards and interactive data visualizations. Work with designers and project managers to ensure that dashboard designs are feasible within the Medic Mobile Analytics platform
- Collate, contribute to and maintain a growing library of configuration settings, best-practises, dashboards, troubleshooting guidelines and interactive data visualizations building upon past work.
- Conduct functional and unit testing on all developed code and scripts in line with testing frameworks to ensure conformance with defined requirements.
- Manage client timelines, monitor usage of the platform, and any relevant software costs for invoicing purposes to foster strong relationships with partners.
- Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on any arising technology issues/bugs working alongside Tech Support team to resolve or escalate to other tech teams and follow up to resolution.
- Describe digital health needs and opportunities in your projects/region and propel these needs to be addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap
- Support in proposal writing, publications, present Medic Mobile in meetings, seminars, summits & forums when called upon to do so.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics and 3+ years relevant experience.
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience in Scripting languages Shell/Awk
- Have experience with data analysis and data visualization languages R/Matlab/Python
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system.
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications).
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Strong user support orientation with an attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others establishing a good working relationship with users/partners.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
- Be familiar with Android SDK, relational databases, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm.
- Project work experience with open source technology.
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems.