Faracon Group are looking for a top-flight CTO to lead product development and roll out an innovative delivery system. As CTO, you will be deeply involved in creating the product by customising and integrating our software to run on our emerging box hardware. As the system is deployed, you will monitor and manage it, providing technical leadership and working with the CEO and marketing director to achieve a major technical and operational “first” in Kenya.
You will need to work as a high-level technical problem solver with the casting vote on architecture decisions. You will know where you can delegate and where you need to maintain control.
● Prior experience building, deploying and managing major online software systems, preferably using Java, although other programming languages will be considered
● Deploying software on embedded hardware, including interactions with electromechanical components
● Developing and monitoring high-availability, “always on” systems.
● Mobile app development, including SMS-based or USSD services
You will bring your experience and enthusiasm to our engineering culture, and ensure quality is designed in from the start rather than assured at the end.
You will play a major role in the product development process. You will manage Farcon Group’s relationship with product engineers prototyping the physical hardware. You will be a key interface between the CEO, head of marketing and the team of employees or contractors that you build yourself. You will inspire developers with the resulting product vision, while managing expectations upwards and downwards.
● Grow a lean team of engineers or subcontract development responsibility according to your own strategic plan
● Contribute to defining the product roadmap roadmap
● Manage delivery of the product, leading planning sessions, retrospectives and stand-ups
● Directly mentor and supervise engineers
● Work with the team to agree a clear set of agile and engineering practices, and promote them with technical mentoring
● Set standards for testing, code review, and deployment, and communicate why they are important
● excited about understanding the real problems working people come up against and fixing them with technology
● user focused, putting the user at the heart of what you deliver
● adaptable, willing to take on tasks in a startup context that are outside of your defined role
● energetic, with a can do approach to delivering targets and objectives
● pragmatic and commercially-savvy
● naturally drawn towards big, new ideas