PowerGen Renewable Energy is a micro-grid developer, implementer, and operator in East Africa, reshaping the prevailing rural electrification model in the region. PowerGen is creating an African energy system that utilizes clean, renewable energy and smarter grids to deliver power to all.
What You’ll Make Happen:
As the Data Engineer at PowerGen you will lead PowerGen’s data engineering by developing PowerGen’s data warehouse in PostgreSQL on Azure cloud services, covering the full life cycle from database creation to ETL process development to database monitoring / maintenance. Additionally, you will work with our Software and Analytics team to improve on the performance of the operational databases relied upon in our platform, and assist the team with other software development and data science tasks as needed. Through these projects, you will take PowerGen’s software and analytical capabilities to the next level, allowing us to more effectively process the large quantities of time series data collected through operating our mini-grids.
The role will be segmented into two components. When you start, you will be responsible for an overhaul of PowerGen’s data systems including our data warehouse, data pipelines (ETL jobs) and internal database design and optimization. We expect this project to take 3-4 months, following which you will transition into a more general Data Engineer role where you will work with both the Software and Analytics teams on projects as required.
- Design, develop and deploy intuitive and scalable database systems to meet PowerGen’s increasingly complex data collection and processing requirements
- You’ll work with across teams with key stakeholders to identify key requirements for data storage and analysis and use these to build out and re-architect our data systems.
ETL processes (Extract, Transform, Load)
- Develop automated ETL processes to consolidate and streamline our internal and external data collection and warehousing
- Optimize our production relational databases relied upon to process customer payments with the goal of improving efficiency and scalability
- Develop efficient indexes based on stakeholder requirements
- Manage resource requirements of servers and ensure that sufficient space and computing power is available
- Review and give feedback on queries relied upon by Analytics team for metrics reporting
- Develop query scripts and other tools to abstract and streamline work for the Analytics team.
- Clearly document and communicate your approach to the rest of the Software and Analytics team enabling the team to build on your work to continuously improve our database infrastructure and queries
What Excites You:
- Leveraging technology solutions to solve real world challenges in Africa
- Working on database architecture for the energy sector
- Leveraging software tools and innovations to deliver world-class service and operations for customers
- Intense attention to detail and managing multiple and varied work streams at a time
- Working collaboratively with many internal teams across multiple countries and offices to drive growth and operational excellence
- A fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm
You Already Have:
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Statistics or similar
- 3-4 years’ relevant work experience
- Experience with designing and setting up databases, developing ETL processes and deploying data pipeline and storage infrastructure to the cloud
- Proficiency in data manipulation languages and frameworks, including PostgreSQL, MS SQL, Oracle Database, or Hadoop
- Familiarity with database types, e.g. MySQL, NoSQL, NewSQL
- Analytic mindset and good problem-solving skills
- Ability to innovate and solve problems
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Experience and proven ability to collaborate across teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Practiced flexibility to lend a hand wherever needed
- Enthusiasm in working in the field of renewable energy!
Benefits and Compensation
A competitive package including annual compensation, health insurance, professional development and team building events. And you'll be working with a dynamic team of brilliant people passionate about electrifying Subsaharan Africa!
How to Apply
Please send your applications to https://careers.ikrut.com/057dcd08-c3a4-4fe8-8170-c64b0f526628/0/jobs/a/63493?src=ihub