Application Deadline! Applications for this post are now closed
Baobab Circle builds cutting-edge technology to address the growing epidemic of people living with chronic health conditions like diabetes and hypertension. There are more than 100 million people across Africa are living with chronic health conditions which puts them at risk of preventable life-threatening complications. We support people to develop habits that improve their health by working at the interface of technology, artificial intelligence and the internet-of-things to provide services to our users. We are already having a positive impact on the lives of our thousands of users. We now want to scale up and expand our product offering.
We are looking for an engineer with a focus on backend development to primarily work on our USSD platform. You will work as part of an agile and collaborative team. You will not only be building products that positively impact people’s lives, you will also have the chance to see first-hand how our users are benefiting from the service. We have a strong culture of continuous learning and improvement and are committed to a holistic approach to career and personal development. If this interests you, we are keen to hear from you.
- Design, build, and operate secure, reliable, and scalable services that enable Baobab Circle to provide services across Africa and beyond with localised and personalised health support via USSD
- Lead USSD integrations with our telco partners
Qualifications & Experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience building and operating backend services (some experience in systems design is a big plus)
- Kotlin and PHP 7
- Experience of developing microservices in Java and Kotlin preferably using Spring Boot frameworks
- At least 1 year of professional experience deploying and managing applications on the cloud (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, IBM etc)
- Good understanding of software engineering basics such as (but not limited to) Agile, OOP, REST, testing, SQL, NoSQL
- Commitment to lifelong learning and staying up-to-date with new trends
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science or a related field
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes Clusters
Why Baobab Circle?
- Work in a team of dedicated and talented engineers committed to writing high quality code
- Contribute to improve the lives of millions through your work
- Work with an international team operating across many African markets
- Be based in either Nairobi or Harare with travel to our partner locations as required
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience and we further support your personal and professional development with a dedicated budget