Position: Digital Services Manager
Location: Applications accepted from our hub locations in Nairobi, Lagos, Dar es Salaam, Johannesburg, Botswana or London.
Line manager: Director, Digital Services
Type of contract: Full-time, Permanent & Pensionable
Africa Practice is a strategic advisory firm, operating at the nexus of industry and government. We supply insights and advocacy solutions to corporations, investors, governments and foundations in Africa, enabling them to unlock value to drive sustainable and equitable development.
About the role
Africa Practice’s digital solutions provide our clients with data driven insights, actionable intelligence and smart engagement capability. Our class leading stakeholder management platform, InGauge, is used by leading companies and governments across the continent. We are committed to growing and developing our digital portfolio, alongside our established consulting practice, to provide clients with a world class user experience across all touch-points and support their transformation journey.
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the centre of our company and network, working closely with our Digital Services Director (DSD) and our small but brilliant digital team, to bring user experience and high quality digital services to everything we do; continuously improving our information environment and ways of working, providing our consultants with user-centric apps and services and creating world class solutions for our clients.
Technical infrastructure, support and services
- Maintain and administer our cloud platforms, infrastructure and core technologies
- Manage our 1st and 2nd line technical support function with escalation points
- Help us to evaluate, procure and manage excellent working relationships with technical suppliers and partners
- Manage the product roadmap for digital solutions, including hands on oversight of external technical delivery teams as appropriate
- Establish, maintain and drive best practice information security and management standards and policies across the group.
‘Internal’ digital services and knowledge management
- Work closely with Ops, Client Service and other stakeholders to design, prototype and roll out user centric systems and services to underpin our world class consulting capability
- Build understanding and awareness of digital best practices, design thinking and agile management approaches
- Monitor and promote adoption of digital services through a combination of hands on training, rich media user guidance and by helping to upskill our team of digital champions.
Client facing digital solutions
- Work closely alongside AP consultants to evaluate client requirements and assess the potential and fit for digital solutions as an adjunct to consulting services or through SaaS
- Collaborate with all stakeholders to design, pitch, promote and deliver digital solutions, supporting roll outs and adoption by clients.
Skills and Experience
This is a mid-level role. You will have proven skills, experience and employment record, having studied computer science or equivalent relevant subject to at least degree level.
Demonstrable experience as part of a software delivery team, as an engineer, data scientist, digital project manager, or UX designer
Our ideal candidate is a true digital native; creative and hands on with a passion for everything new and good the connected world has to offer
- You will be collaborative, solution-focused, organised, analytical and great with people – with the ability to influence and build relationships across the organisation - confident training and supporting a distributed network of people to use and understand digital technologies and the opportunities they bring
Comfortable with design thinking and visual thinking approaches – supporting multidisciplinary teams to design, prototype and test ideas in a user centric and insight driven way
- Awareness, exposure and interest in working to best international quality standards across all aspects of our information systems and our software development and deployment practices.
Specific skills : highly desirable
- Experience of administering and automating digital/cloud systems, products and services, especially in a lean/agile professional services environment, e.g. Google Suite, Google Cloud Platform, Salesforce, AWS, Azure
- Agile project management, e.g. scrum, kanban
- Digital product management : user experience design, user stories & journeys, creating and managing a backlog through test and delivery
- Devops : managing github or other code repo; server administration, deployment automation
- Rapid application development : e.g. Google App Maker, MS Power Apps, Salesforce Lightning.