Application Deadline! Applications for this post are now closed
Smart Applications is a leading ICT provider of medical scheme administration and automation solutions. The Company is looking for a data scientist. The Data Scientist makes technical contributions on a day-to-day basis towards the delivery of our data products. He/She will in addition contribute to the identification and solving of analytic needs by internal stakeholders.
The role is envisaged to span across the data spectrum, encompassing areas such as data engineering, data visualization and data analysis towards the development of custom data products and services.
To succeed, the candidate will need to be comfortable working with large datasets, be highly self-driven, and be able to work effectively to find creative technical solutions to data and analytics related problems.
This role is an entry level role reporting to the Analytics team leader but with close interactions with other departments in the organization. It also has regional scope, which would involve interacting and operationalising clinical data and systems strategies within the East Africa region.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Analysis of data, interpretation of findings, and communication of insights.
- Development of clean, reproducible, and testable code, primarily in R or Python 3.x.
- Identify, design, and test data-driven hypotheses.
- Development of interactive and intuitive data visualizations for data communication.
- Supporting the development of data quality routines and processes.
- Participation in internal and client facing kick-off meetings to plan key milestones/meetings, confirm deliverable expectations, and clarify contractual obligations.
- Participation in the planning and design of data products.
- Minimum qualification: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent.
Experience And Skills
- 2+ years experience in Data Science and Analytics or BI within healthcare, e-commerce, or engineering.
- Strong skills in mathematics and/or statistical analysis.
- Experience with Python(in particular data analysis and machine learning libraries) or R.
- Experience with SQL dialects(eg. MySQL, PostGreSQL, Oracle DB, )
- Experience in solving complex data problems.
- Ability to work across both technical and business portfolios.
- Some experience with machine learning.
- Advanced data processing, management, and associated technical skills
- Some experience with Dev-ops in a Linux environment.eg. cron job management, test automation.
Key Personal Traits
- The successful candidate is self-driven and highly self-motivated.
- The candidate has excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to clearly communicate technical content to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to tell stories from data and take an overall big picture viewpoint of the analysis.
- Strong and well developed analytical and report writing skills.
- Quick learner with demonstrated technical knowledge.
- Ability to reason about and solve complex problems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – both written and verbal.
- Proactive and highly organized, with strong time management and planning skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, heavy workloads and remain calm under pressure with a high degree of individual responsibility.