Application Deadline! Applications for this post are now closed
If you love working in a dynamic environment where the demands are high, where you will be challenged every day and where you will get to deliver solutions that positively impact millions of farmers in emerging markets, then this role is for you!
We are looking for a superstar data engineer & analyst who can lead our data strategy, and lead us from ad-hoc reporting, to a systematic approach of consolidating, cleaning, staging, analyzing and visualizing our data, and eventually build data build a data warehouse. You drive to pose questions and hunt down solutions, and in so doing to unearth information that could transform our business. You focus relentlessly on understanding our data and slice and dice it to enable new business insights.
- Define and implement Pula’s data strategy by working closely with executive and engineering team’s
- Consolidate various redundant data sources into one authoritative master data store
- Ensure data quality ongoing only by working with our partners to define how we exchange data; by building automate data quality monitoring, cleaning, and alerting solution.
- Build dashboards in Mode Analytics for our executive team, field staff and B2B partners
- Automate the integration of weather and satellite data into our production systems
- Enable owners of data to directly enter and maintain them in the system, without having to go through a “middle man”
- Build reusable and extensible data queries; use engineering best practices such as automated testing and source control to ensure a reliable data infrastructure
Your strengths and experience:
- You have multiple years of experience working with data and a proven track record of providing business intelligence solutions.
- You are a self-starter, work independently without much guidance, and have experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Demonstrated experience in building data strategies
- 3 to 5 years of experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries
- Expert in visualizing data and building BI dashboards
- Demonstrated experience in knowing how to trade-off data normalization to optimize ease of reporting
- Practical experience writing Python scripts to analyze and predict data
- Practical experience modeling relational database schemas and normalizing data
- Practical experience modeling data warehouse schemas and using ETL tools
- Familiarity with R
Nice to have:
- Agricultural/Insurance knowledge, we can teach you this if you don’t have much background in agriculture or insurance.
- Hands-on experience with machine learning and big data tools
What we offer:
- Be an early team member of a VC backed insurance tech startup that has reached over 600,000 smallholder farmers across 8 countries already.
- We pride ourselves in operational excellence, both in terms of technology as well as in our field operations and interactions with farmers. You will be part of an exceptional and award winning team and we will help you raise the bar and deliver what has never been done before.
- Change the story of farmers in Africa. We were the first to deliver agriculture insurance in many of the countries we work in, and have given farmers confidence, professionalism and pride. This is a chance to be part of that story.
Since we started 3 years ago, Pula has developed insurance and agronomy solutions that in 2016 reached over 600,000 farmers across 5 countries in Africa, we are on rapid growth path to reach one million farmers by the end 2018. For a brief on our work so far have a look at this talk by one of our founders here.