Application Deadline! Applications for this post are now closed
Akvo is a rapidly-growing, entrepreneurial non-profit foundation with a big mission. Our tools are already positively disrupting the ways that development aid is allocated and reported in a sector that has been historically adverse to change. We're now helping to establish the identity and voice of a new generation of development professionals who work on the ground and are committed to being open about what works and what doesn't.
Akvo is looking for someone to lead the development of its activities in East and Southern Africa.
Akvo’s East Africa hub is the headquarters of the Akvo Kenya Foundation, and is located in Nairobi, Kenya. As the Akvo East Africa hub manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and leading regional activities, and further developing our international network of partners.
As leader and manager of the East Africa team, you will focus on the continued sustainable growth of the hub, and ensure the quality of our operations in East and Southern Africa. You will be part of the global team of hub managers, and report to Akvo’s global management team and the supervisory board of the Akvo Kenya Foundation.
You need the capacity to manage a broad portfolio of activities and opportunities, motivate a geographically distributed team and deal with challenging and complex situations.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Supervising and leading a team of eight; ensuring appropriate division of tasks and optimum use of team members’ talents and skills, while nurturing their personal development.
- Identifying and raising funds for new sustainable business partnerships.
- Financial management, ensuring a sustainable income for Akvo Kenya Foundation.
- Managing and monitoring projects and larger programmes and making progress and financial reports for internal management, executive boards, and external funders.
- Representing Akvo in the region at meetings and events and engaging with the regional technology and international development aid communities.
- Developing and evolving the strategy of the East Africa hub over the longer term.
- Frequent cooperation with other hubs around the world.
- Co-create the global Akvo strategy with other hub managers and Akvo’s board of directors and management team.
Requirements and competencies:
- At least seven years’ experience in programme management, preferably in the international development sector.
- Experience of setting up and running country and/or regional offices, including the management of a multi-disciplinary team and financial management.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, in a proactive, decisive and results-driven way.
- Experience in sales and/or fundraising with larger multi-country and multi-stakeholder programmes.
- A social entrepreneurial mind-set and strong leadership and communications skills.
- Shares Akvo’s values, and strives for the same goals as Akvo.
- Good experience of and passion for information technologies.
- Fluency in English is essential. Excellent written and spoken French and/or Portuguese would be a plus.
- Experience of working in an international environment and flexibility to encompass the variety of cultures and working styles within Akvo.
The position will be based in Nairobi, and involves very frequent travel across East and Southern Africa, as well as some travel to other parts of the world.
We always look for local talent, therefore we prefer candidates that are already based in Kenya or in neighbouring East African countries.