PIVOT East, is one of the most consistent and open deal pipeline forums for investors in East Africa. For 5 years, the event attracted more than 200 investors from across the world. These investors have gone to find deals, form collaborations with each other, gauge the readiness of the market and investment environment in the region as they look at growing their portfolio. Pivot Alumni received over $200K from iHub and gone to raise $40M from external investors in the past 5 years.
The competition officially opens its application portal for entries on March 12th 2019 and will continue to accept applications until midnight EAT on April 13th 2019. We are inviting investors and partners to join us in the event this year.
The competition has five categories in both software and hardware which are;
- Finance – including digital or mobile payments, banking, insurance, cryptocurrencies, e-commerce etc.
- Enterprise – including ERP Systems, CRMs, Recruiting platforms, value chain management, marketing, production, etc.
- Entertainment – including gaming, social networking, e-magazines, music, video, photography etc.
- Social Impact – including education, agriculture, health, governance, and other social development themes.
- Utilities – A catch-all category including applications for enhancing the usability and versatility of technology etc
We are looking for individuals or firms of angel investors, venture capitalists, private equity and banks to participate as judges, panellists or attendees. If you would like to participate as an investor sign up HERE
In the previous years, Pivot East has received support from more than 30 organizations both financially and in kind. Some of these partners are East African Technology hubs, Law Firms, Technology bloggers, Tech companies, Government and Media. We are looking for Community Partners, Media, Corporate, Accommodation among others. If you would like to be a partner sign up HERE
We have had these companies as sponsors: Samsung, Omidyar Network, NESC, Co-op Bank, InMobi, Mercy Corps, Kenya ICT Board, Safaricom, Qualcomm, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Nokia, CGAP, Accion, BlackBerry, OLX, Eskimi, Uganda Communications Commission, MTN Uganda, NITA-UG, World Bank( infoDev), Chase Bank, Motorola Solutions , Intel, Facebook, Making All Voices Count, Chase Bank, Homeboyz Entertainment among others.
Here is what you should expect as a partner or Investor:
- Deal Pipeline for investors: 25 startups will be pitching at the event, this will be an opportunity to find out more about the business model, their company vision and meet some of their team members at the event.
- Visibility: We will share information about your business on our social media platforms and community. We will also list you as a partner on our website as well as share the same on all communication materials.
- Networking: Engage with the different stakeholder who will attend the event. They will be angel investors, venture capitalists, corporate executives, senior government officials, Hub Managers, SME enablers, representatives of development organizations and researchers.
We have worked with over 150 startups across East Africa. Some Pivot alumni are Eneza Education, Totohealth, and Mfarm, Kopokopo, Ma3Route, Ma3Racer, Lipisha, SleepOut.com, Hehe Ltd, Ensibuuko, Ubongo Kids to mention a few. Over 3,000 people have attended PIVOT East events across the region. The conference attracts at least 200 participants per event.
PIVOT East is organised by iHub . The competition aims to catalyse the growth of East Africa startups, so as to amplify and consolidate the gains of East Africa’s entrepreneurship ecosystem. The key objective for this year’s event is to ensure that we provide maximum opportunities for all stakeholders to engage before, during and after the competition. It is only through this open engagement that we can surface learnings, which will go into ensuring a more robust ecosystem.
Email: [email protected]