Update: Deadline Extension
Last year, iHub Researchheld its first annualdata jam
and what a success
it was!Well, we are doing it again and we would like you to apply. This year, we will be conducting the 6-week data science program from June 30th to August 8th 2014
. We have revamped the course and this time round it will be experiential, based on tackling data issues in existing projects by and within startups. Participants in this program will be embedded into actual projects and practically learn foundational data science concepts while working on these projects/within the start-ups.
Prerequisites for Participation:
- Students should have their own laptop
- Students should have done a form of advanced statistics course (Calculus, Probability and Statistics courses taken that are equivalent to 2nd year university level)
- Students should have some experience in programming (C++, R, Python e.t.c.)
- Students should show commitment and enthusiasm!
The course will comprise of face-time workshop sessions, as well as practical ‘lab’ time with the start-ups over the duration of the course.
- Introduction to data science
- Opportunities/use cases for data science
- Exposure to tools in data science
- Research in data science (Problem definition/ Knowledge in the field)
- Data visualisation and story telling with data
- Ethics in data science and research
The total cost of participating in this data science jam is Ksh. 10,000
, part of which will be refundable upon successful completion of the course. This fee will go towards covering the cost of learning materials and meals for participants during the course.
If you are interested in joining this course, kindly send a short resume/CV and an accompanying motivation essay (450 words or less) telling us why you are interested in a career in Data Science to[email protected]
by 15th June 2014