Machine Learning Expert 1
- Company: Refugees United
- Deadline: Sunday 6th April 2014
- Location: Nairobi
Refugees United is looking for an outstanding developer with machine learning experience to join our development team in Nairobi
Refugees United builds technology to help separated refugee families reconnect. The world holds more than 43 million displaced people and Refugees United is currently helping more than 280,000 people in finding their children, siblings and parents again. Working with our partners in distributed teams, we collect family data through WAP, USSD, SMS and the web. Our teams are present in refugee camps and urban areas of East and North Africa, and often comprise refugees themselves. We work in challenging environments with challenging data, striving to crack a code of information dissemination to help families reunite faster.
We focus on a big problem that we believe big data can help solve. We’re not in it for the status quo. We help change the lives of some of the most resource deprived people on our planet. We try to have fun, even when it’s tough.
If this start-up dynamic, combined with a mission to empower refugees, sounds like your ideal place to thrive, get in touch.
· Work closely with a growing team of software engineers, data analyst and UX/UI designers on a variety of on-going projects
· Incorporate machine learning into the product in close collaboration with the software engineers
· Contributing with technical solutions and solidified results to realize a broader vision
Requirements/You are strong in several of the following areas:
· A Bachelors or Masters degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related fields, ideally with significant experience in Machine Learning and Applied Statistics.
· At least 3 years of programming experience in Python.
· Comfortable in Linux environment
· Familiarity with SQL (MySQL, Hive, PIG, Hadoop)
· Experience with very large sets of data is a plus.
· Working knowledge of any of the following machine learning paradigms: Decision Trees, Support Vector Machines, Neural Networks, Ensemble Methods, Bayesian approaches.
· Prior work in Natural Language Processing, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics, Collaborative Filtering, Recommendation Systems, Text Mining, Data Visualization or other related fields also very favorable
· Experience with statistical analysis of data in environments like R, MATLAB, or Numpy/Scipy a plus.
We expect you to:
· Be absolutely kick ass at what you do
· Be creative, curious and challenge us and yourself with new solutions and great ideas
· Be responsible and able to work independently as well as collaborate across the dev team and organisation in a hectic start up environment
What we can offer:
· Being part of an ambitious, skilled and agile team
· A great and fun work environment with highly enthusiastic colleagues
· Contributing to reconnecting refugees with their family and loved ones
How to apply
Interested? Please send a letter of motivation, your CV and examples of some of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Machine Learning Expert’
- PHP USER GROUP MEETUP... Tuesday 7th October 2014 5:30pm
- Wireless Wednesday... Wednesday 1st October 2014 12:00pm
- Entrepreneurship Forum #5... Saturday 27th September 2014 1:00pm
- BBC “WORLD HAVE YOUR SAY” RADIO SHOW... Tuesday 23rd September 2014 8:00pm